Out of Broken Heart1
Jenny Lind, the famous2 Swedish nightingale3 was considered4 one of the greatest5 popular singers of her day.
Her music teacher once said, “Jenny, you've got everything to make you the world's greatest singer, but one thing6!”
“What in the world is that?” she asked. “I practice all day long and you say I have tremendous range7, versatility8 and talent! What haven't I got?”
“To make you a truly9 great singer,” he replied, “you have to have a broken heart!”
And so it happened10 that this man broke her heart! She fell in love with him and he jilted11 her.
Then she began to sing from her heart! The songs she sang became her own12--songs of loneliness13 and tears--not just a collection of words and music--but it was her own heart cry14!
1. out of broken heart – от разбитого сердца
2. famous – известная
3. nightingale – соловей
4. was considered – считалась
5. greatest – наивеличайшей
6. you've got everything to make you the world's greatest singer, but one thing – у тебя есть, все, чтобы стать самой великой мировой певицей, но одного тебе не хватает
7. tremendous range – широкий диапазон (голоса)
8. versatility – гибкость (подвижность голоса)
9. truly – по настоящему
10. so it happened – так уж случилось
11. jilted – бросил (в любовных отношениях)
12. own - собственный
13. loneliness - одиночество
14. cry – плачь
The picture used was taken from commons.wikimedia.org